@ChristopherMarkPerez I assume this is digital? The first thought that jumped out at me is "This is film!" It looks like an older (not in current production) emulsion.
I see you tagged it #oldlens. Is that the secret? What lens? Is it coated? If digital, did you also do something in post to give it that look?
@Photorat - Digital, striving for a "film look." The "trick" isn't in the lens (in fact, any lens will do). The "trick" is in the processing. I wrote about it on one of my blogs -
@ChristopherMarkPerez That article was about B&W. (It broke my brain, though. I've been saying for years that I love high-contrast B&W with jet-black shadows. You're pointing out that the prints by the masters are lower contrast with subtle tonality. I guess I need to broaden my horizons and look at more prints!)
How did you approach getting that look you have in these color photos?
@Photorat - Sorry to "break the brain." I know, I can get a bit "wordy" as I try to understand as deeply as possible some subject or another.
Good high contrast B&W is wonderful. I remember seeing an Ansel Adams show in LA years ago that was spot-on perfectly printed, and tended toward high contrast. It was glorious.
@Photorat - With both film and digital, if you're shooting B&W and exposing for (using St Ansel's terms) Zone5, both processes deliver (in general) tones that are more like Zone4 or even Zone3.
The trick with film is that silver halide print paper _raises_ those tones back to where you originally though they should be.
In digital, if you really want that old film "look" we need to raise the mid-tones.
Our artistic sense then allows modifications - contrast/brightness/luminosity/etc
@ChristopherMarkPerez Good advice. I'll see where that gets me. Thanks.
A place for your photos and banter. Photog first is our motto
- photog.social doesn't monetize or profit off of your personal information
- Export and leave anytime
- Zero tolerance for harassment or bullying, if you do this your account will be deleted
- All content is ©️ each user and cannot be distributed or used without prior permission by the respective photog.social user
- By using this site you understand that it is not a backup or permanent repository for your information, statuses or media ; additionally, your media was downsized on original upload and is not exportable at this time upon transferring to new instance
- You may support the community by boosting and positively interacting with everyone
- No Loli
- No Bots w/o Approval
- Respect Others
If you're feeling like supporting the photog.social Mastodon instance monetarily, feel free to choose an option below.
We appreciate it and 💘 the support!