Today is World Wetlands Day.
Wetlands are a vital niche in the environment, with many animals and birds using these areas to survive and flourish.
A prime example of this is the Lara Wetlands near Barcaldine, QLD. These wetlands are situated in Central west Queensland, amongst some pretty dry and arid terrain.
This White-plumed Honeyeater is usually a woodland bird, but they were in abundance at Lara.
funny coincidence! we hiked 12 kms through a peat bog today, because it's too crowded in the weekend nowadays.
It is in a process of being restored after turf winning and some attempted agriculture.
we've seen only a few cormorants, but it's winter over here
@StroomAfwaarts And almost spelt the same as my surname ;-)
(My family is from around Heemstede, Nederhorst den Berg, Utrecht and Haarlem)
Also very nice places to hike!
Haarlem and Heemstede have very beautiful sea dunes nearby, and Utrecht and Nederhorst den Berg are bordering or even in, another big "wetland": Holland :-)
I grew up in Woerden, quite near Utrecht, a town on a clay hill in the middle of a polder landscape with lots of tiny canals and grass fields on peat
A place for your photos and banter. Photog first is our motto
- photog.social doesn't monetize or profit off of your personal information
- Export and leave anytime
- Zero tolerance for harassment or bullying, if you do this your account will be deleted
- All content is ©️ each user and cannot be distributed or used without prior permission by the respective photog.social user
- By using this site you understand that it is not a backup or permanent repository for your information, statuses or media ; additionally, your media was downsized on original upload and is not exportable at this time upon transferring to new instance
- You may support the community by boosting and positively interacting with everyone
- No Loli
- No Bots w/o Approval
- Respect Others
If you're feeling like supporting the photog.social Mastodon instance monetarily, feel free to choose an option below.
We appreciate it and 💘 the support!