Do any fedi friends have access to a theological library?
I'm trying to find someone to help me get a photocopy of a page or two from this book:
It allegedly contains a photo of a cuneiform tablet which records history's oldest joke.
As a clown, I need a copy. :)
I'm also interested in having a copy of the book, though it seems to be looooooong out of print.
Any help, including boosts, appreciated!
@RussSharek I have both a physical copy available in our library at work, and apparently access to it online (checking now).
The joys of working at an Academic Library :)
@RussSharek Oh scratch the online copy, it's actually in the references of some other book by Ruth Finnegan.
But I still have access to the physical copy.
I'm impressed that I got this far. Any chance you'd be willing to look for the tablet in question, or references to it?
@RussSharek I'm in the office on Tuesday (it's currently Sunday night). So I'll try to remember to pop over to the central library and scan the relevant pages :)
@RussSharek my initial perusal of the photographs in the book seems to suggest several are missing, compared with the text collection, and it looks like the proverb you’re after is one of them :-(
I’ll keep trying to decode the mystical references though in case I’m mistaken.
@RussSharek however, the tiny photo on this site, may be it.
@RussSharek i also found this reference, no photo though in a google books search.
@RussSharek and according to the museum index, the Museum Numbers for the three fragments you are interested in are: Ni 9084 + 4085 + 4432 SP 1 A.
Ni is for the Nippur Collection of the Archaeological Museum in Istanbul.
It definitely appears this tome does not have the photo you are after though.
@RussSharek The email address for the Archaeological Museum in Istanbul is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Maybe they have and would be willing to share, a hi-res photo of the pieces previously noted.
This one has been with me a while, and only recently did I get enough clues to even ask for help.
A place for your photos and banter. Photog first is our motto
- photog.social doesn't monetize or profit off of your personal information
- Export and leave anytime
- Zero tolerance for harassment or bullying, if you do this your account will be deleted
- All content is ©️ each user and cannot be distributed or used without prior permission by the respective photog.social user
- By using this site you understand that it is not a backup or permanent repository for your information, statuses or media ; additionally, your media was downsized on original upload and is not exportable at this time upon transferring to new instance
- You may support the community by boosting and positively interacting with everyone
- No Loli
- No Bots w/o Approval
- Respect Others
If you're feeling like supporting the photog.social Mastodon instance monetarily, feel free to choose an option below.
We appreciate it and 💘 the support!