Back in 2005, I visited the #Kilauea #volcano in #Hawaii. There were active lava flows at the time, but the main caldera was only venting gases (this was before the lava lake *formed* in Halema‘uma‘u).
I followed the road around the main caldera, then down to the coast to see where lava flows had obliterated the road and look at active flows waaaay off in the distance.
With the current eruption transforming the area, I've just uploaded an album to Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kelsonv/albums/72157698339943505
@kelsonv Really cool! I've always wondered how volcanoes and lava smells with all of those gasses and extreme heat. You can see the picture but you can only really smell it in person 😞
Also I recently listened #stuffyoushouldknow podcast about pompey volcano and was surprised to hear that majority of people died from gasses and huge heatwave instead of lava, smoke or ash.
@Wraptile I didn't get close to any of the hot spots when I was there, but it was near enough to smell acrid smoke in the air, and some of the vents had a strong sulfur smell to them.
That's interesting about Pompey. I wouldn't have thought so, but it makes sense. All the tourist guides in Hawaii warned us about "vog" (volcanic fog) & I know it's a major issue with evacuations & closures related to the current eruption.
A place for your photos and banter. Photog first is our motto
- photog.social doesn't monetize or profit off of your personal information
- Export and leave anytime
- Zero tolerance for harassment or bullying, if you do this your account will be deleted
- All content is ©️ each user and cannot be distributed or used without prior permission by the respective photog.social user
- By using this site you understand that it is not a backup or permanent repository for your information, statuses or media ; additionally, your media was downsized on original upload and is not exportable at this time upon transferring to new instance
- You may support the community by boosting and positively interacting with everyone
- No Loli
- No Bots w/o Approval
- Respect Others
If you're feeling like supporting the photog.social Mastodon instance monetarily, feel free to choose an option below.
We appreciate it and 💘 the support!