Pixel 2 vs. PowerShot SX710HS.
I'm only a hobbyist photographer. I don't have a really nice camera, just a point & shoot that I picked mainly for its optical zoom. And I'm still astonished that I can often get better pictures out of the tiny lens on my phone.
@kelsonv Have you tried playing with the White Balance settings on the power shot? It looks like it has some additional detection features when in auto mode.
Also : if you're having trouble with sharpness try turning off digital zoom. I've had funky results with digital zoom even being turned on with point and shoots in the past.
@kemonine I remember doing a bunch of experimenting when the camera was new & settled on some best-for-most-cases settings. White balance is only available in some modes - it usually does a decent job on that, but I think it must have just detected the wrong type of light in this case.
Thanks for the tip on turning digital zoom off completely. I don't use it very much, but figured it wouldn't hurt to have available for when I do. Maybe it is?
@kemonine Yeah, I rarely have reason to use the digital zoom with that lens!
I used to figure if I needed to zoom past what the optics can do, I'd just crop it smaller. In most cases it's still better than screen resolution anyway. But I've found that digital zoom has one advantage over cropping after the fact: the camera bases any automatic settings like exposure on the actual image you intend to take, not the wider view.
But yeah, might as well turn it off the rest of the time.
A place for your photos and banter. Photog first is our motto
- photog.social doesn't monetize or profit off of your personal information
- Export and leave anytime
- Zero tolerance for harassment or bullying, if you do this your account will be deleted
- All content is ©️ each user and cannot be distributed or used without prior permission by the respective photog.social user
- By using this site you understand that it is not a backup or permanent repository for your information, statuses or media ; additionally, your media was downsized on original upload and is not exportable at this time upon transferring to new instance
- You may support the community by boosting and positively interacting with everyone
- No Loli
- No Bots w/o Approval
- Respect Others
If you're feeling like supporting the photog.social Mastodon instance monetarily, feel free to choose an option below.
We appreciate it and 💘 the support!