@Chuculate I believe it was originally built to shelter the Spruce Goose (Howard Hughes' experimental all-wooden giant seaplane) when it was on display at Long Beach. I know that's what it was used for in the 1980s, anyway.
The plane is in a museum in Oregon now, and according to Wikipedia, the dome is now used as a terminal for Carnival Cruise lines.
Looking up at the walls of a hotel near LAX. The #patterened #facade in the first photo is repeated on several other walls around the hotel. Above it are many layers of #interleaved balconies for the hotel rooms.
Does anyone know the term for this #architecture style? It's sort of post-Googie, pre-Brutalist?
I had to be somewhere near the coast this morning, so I figured I'd take 10 minutes to look for seagulls for #iNaturalist. I found a lot of them, but they were mostly hanging out on the beach, not flying around. Still, that's plenty for observation purposes, and I did manage to catch this shot too!
@KelsonV I just realized it's literally confusing hawks and doves.
@hafnia Thank you!
The second shot is a lot noisier than I'd like since I was adjusting levels on the jpeg, but I have the raw file, so maybe I'll be able to do something better with it.
@aciccarello Fortunately seagulls also tend to be fearless compared to other birds. Sparrows will fly away before I get close. I've seen a seagull wait until the last minute to move out of the way of an SUV, then fly right back down behind it.
I found this while looking for old pictures to submit to iNaturalist. I don't think there's *quite* enough detail on the seagull here to identify the species!
The ship, incidentally, is the Queen Mary, launched in the 1930s as a transatlantic liner. It's been permanently docked in Long Beach, California for several decades and is now run as a hotel.
@youcantoo Nice! I never seem to be able to catch them when they're still.
@youcantoo Very nice silhouettes and crater texture!
Hobbyist photographer in the Los Angeles area. Mostly scenic shots, architecture & plants.
A place for your photos and banter. Photog first is our motto
- photog.social doesn't monetize or profit off of your personal information
- Export and leave anytime
- Zero tolerance for harassment or bullying, if you do this your account will be deleted
- All content is ©️ each user and cannot be distributed or used without prior permission by the respective photog.social user
- By using this site you understand that it is not a backup or permanent repository for your information, statuses or media ; additionally, your media was downsized on original upload and is not exportable at this time upon transferring to new instance
- You may support the community by boosting and positively interacting with everyone
- No Loli
- No Bots w/o Approval
- Respect Others
If you're feeling like supporting the photog.social Mastodon instance monetarily, feel free to choose an option below.
We appreciate it and 💘 the support!