Looking up at the walls of a hotel near LAX. The #patterened #facade in the first photo is repeated on several other walls around the hotel. Above it are many layers of #interleaved balconies for the hotel rooms.
Does anyone know the term for this #architecture style? It's sort of post-Googie, pre-Brutalist?
I had to be somewhere near the coast this morning, so I figured I'd take 10 minutes to look for seagulls for #iNaturalist. I found a lot of them, but they were mostly hanging out on the beach, not flying around. Still, that's plenty for observation purposes, and I did manage to catch this shot too!
The second shot is a lot noisier than I'd like since I was adjusting levels on the jpeg, but I have the raw file, so maybe I'll be able to do something better with it.
I found this while looking for old pictures to submit to iNaturalist. I don't think there's *quite* enough detail on the seagull here to identify the species!
The ship, incidentally, is the Queen Mary, launched in the 1930s as a transatlantic liner. It's been permanently docked in Long Beach, California for several decades and is now run as a hotel.
Managed to identify the not-iceplant. It's Blue Chalksticks, or Blue Chalk Stick. Either way, it's remarkably descriptive.
Posted it to iNat even though it's cultivated landscaping in hopes that the info will help both the AI and human identifiers.
WARNING: Use of #iNaturalist may lead you to do things like following wasps around with a camera instead of backing away slowly and looking for the nest.
Please use iNaturalist responsibly.
(That said, the wasps showed no signs of aggression and I got some decent photos!)
Two crops of the same photo taken on a quick walk around the block. I really like the landscape crop showing the fiery skipper as it flies from one flower to the next...but after I cropped it, I noticed the bee also flying in the foreground of the original, and I just had to find a way to keep them both in the frame and still draw attention to them.
Hobbyist photographer in the Los Angeles area. Mostly scenic shots, architecture & plants.
A place for your photos and banter. Photog first is our motto
- photog.social doesn't monetize or profit off of your personal information
- Export and leave anytime
- Zero tolerance for harassment or bullying, if you do this your account will be deleted
- All content is ©️ each user and cannot be distributed or used without prior permission by the respective photog.social user
- By using this site you understand that it is not a backup or permanent repository for your information, statuses or media ; additionally, your media was downsized on original upload and is not exportable at this time upon transferring to new instance
- You may support the community by boosting and positively interacting with everyone
- No Loli
- No Bots w/o Approval
- Respect Others
If you're feeling like supporting the photog.social Mastodon instance monetarily, feel free to choose an option below.
We appreciate it and 💘 the support!