Got Hoya Black Mist diffusion filter, currently ~$17 on B&H for 58mm https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1110471-REG/hoya_s_58bmist_58mm_black_mist_filter.html
I haven't been out with it because... I haven't gone outside BUT - here is a quick demo + a macro shot to show the texture of the filter.
It gives sharp points of light a soft glow and reduces overall contrast slightly in dark areas without reducing the sharpness of details significantly.
Of course the real comparison that I want is between this and the Tiffen ones that cost ~$50 for 58mm.
The Tiffen ones also have multiple strengths, so I'm curious how this compares.
But the conclusion is: the cheaper black mist filter does work.
The effect may be too strong for a lot of things (especially the reduction in contrast) but I feel like it might be really good for late night street scenes to make things like streetlights glow more.
@masklayer oh I like thst
A place for your photos and banter. Photog first is our motto
- photog.social doesn't monetize or profit off of your personal information
- Export and leave anytime
- Zero tolerance for harassment or bullying, if you do this your account will be deleted
- All content is ©️ each user and cannot be distributed or used without prior permission by the respective photog.social user
- By using this site you understand that it is not a backup or permanent repository for your information, statuses or media ; additionally, your media was downsized on original upload and is not exportable at this time upon transferring to new instance
- You may support the community by boosting and positively interacting with everyone
- No Loli
- No Bots w/o Approval
- Respect Others
If you're feeling like supporting the photog.social Mastodon instance monetarily, feel free to choose an option below.
We appreciate it and 💘 the support!