This thing is called a 5D optical data storage crystal. It's a little piece of fused quartz, etched to remarkable precision using a femtosecond ultraviolet laser.
The "5D" part of the name is just a marketing gimmick (it only has three dimensions, obviously), but it's impressive anyway. Using current technology, these little things can store 360 terabytes of data. Once written, these crystals can survive temperatures up to 1000°C, and could theoretically last for billions of years.
Fancy a bit more history?
This is Salts Mill and the Victorian model village of Saltaire, both a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
LOADS more photos and history of this place right here https://www.iancylkowski.com/blog/2020/9/8/saltaire-west-yorkshire-autumn 👍
Another smokey day. The fires are now less the 20 miles from the house and the smoke is getting thicker and you can now see light gray ash falling.
The smoke fills the Willamette Valley from Portland in the North to past Eugene in the South. That is over 100 miles in length
We now have over 35 fires burning across Oregon
It is a eerie to see stuff like this.
A place for your photos and banter. Photog first is our motto
- photog.social doesn't monetize or profit off of your personal information
- Export and leave anytime
- Zero tolerance for harassment or bullying, if you do this your account will be deleted
- All content is ©️ each user and cannot be distributed or used without prior permission by the respective photog.social user
- By using this site you understand that it is not a backup or permanent repository for your information, statuses or media ; additionally, your media was downsized on original upload and is not exportable at this time upon transferring to new instance
- You may support the community by boosting and positively interacting with everyone
- No Loli
- No Bots w/o Approval
- Respect Others
If you're feeling like supporting the photog.social Mastodon instance monetarily, feel free to choose an option below.
We appreciate it and 💘 the support!