Flax-leaved horseweed, according to iNaturalist's identification engine.
Since the idea is to catalog nature, not gardens, I've found myself taking lots of photos of weeds. Some that I know, like dandelions, and a lot that I don't.
Unfortunately, while observations of birds almost instantly attract other users who are ready to fine-tune the ID, people don't seem as interested in identifying plants.
Perfect example: I posted this super-blurry photo of a bird on a wire across the street, zoomed optically as far as I could and then just cropped. Within 15 minutes, 4 people had identified it as not just a sparrow, but specifically a house sparrow!
Meanwhile the entry for the horseweed from last week still hasn't had anyone stop in to confirm or correct the ID.
@kelsonv Yes, I've notice that.
I think there are a few reasons:
- most people post cultured (or potted) plants on iNat, out of ignorance of iNat's purpose, which usually gets ignored
- less people on iNat are good at identifying plants. My region has a few good identifiers, fortunately.
- maybe your shots don't capture enough info to ID the plants. This has happened to me. This forum post has some photo taking recommendations, including for plants [ https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/photo-taking-recommendations-by-taxon/1962/4 ]
@sohkamyung That's a really helpful forum thread. Thanks for linking to it.
I guess I've got to make an effort to take more varied photos of the plants I find.
@rubah Maybe! In the meantime, I can start posting more pics here using those tags to at least improve my own observations.
@kelsonv oh, I definitely have to try that identification engine, been looking for something like this for some time now!
@kelsonv does it have medicinal or culinary use?
@Boudicca None that I know of.
A place for your photos and banter. Photog first is our motto
- photog.social doesn't monetize or profit off of your personal information
- Export and leave anytime
- Zero tolerance for harassment or bullying, if you do this your account will be deleted
- All content is ©️ each user and cannot be distributed or used without prior permission by the respective photog.social user
- By using this site you understand that it is not a backup or permanent repository for your information, statuses or media ; additionally, your media was downsized on original upload and is not exportable at this time upon transferring to new instance
- You may support the community by boosting and positively interacting with everyone
- No Loli
- No Bots w/o Approval
- Respect Others
If you're feeling like supporting the photog.social Mastodon instance monetarily, feel free to choose an option below.
We appreciate it and 💘 the support!