Two views of a 22-degree circular #halo around the sun that I saw on a walk this afternoon.
Halos are a lot more common than I used to think. Then I started actually looking for them. Even on a warm day like today, there can still be ice crystals higher in the atmosphere of the right size and shape to cause a display like this (or even more complicated ones).
@kelsonv Nice captures.
@sohkamyung Thank you!
Usually I just go for a utilitarian, "got a picture of the halo," but this time I tried about five different things to block the sun, trying to compose an interesting shot as well. I'm going to have to keep that up!
@kelsonv Definitely keep it up. The composition of the shots are really nice.
@kelsonv Not a lot of people actually look up, is what I suspect...
From over (OMG!) 40 years ago - during a class on history of science, in about 200 students, I was the only one who raised her hand when the prof asked if we had ever seen a "sun dog".
I'd seen my *first* one at least 15 years before that time - lots of family road trips meant I got to stare out the window a *lot*!
@OldBrushNewPaper Heh. Yeah, I suspect you're right!
@kelsonv Have seen those halos quite a bit and I'm fairly certain they are more frequent than when I was much younger.
@kelsonv Increased CO2 and methane (CH4) in the atmosphere made sunsets more orangy as well since CO2 has a higher Index of refraction than Oxygen or Nitrogen. This I looked up after seeing a stunning sunset with much yellow and orange about 45 years ago.
@AskChip I can totally imagine that changes in atmospheric composition and temperature could impact the frequency of the right types of ice crystals forming.
I also seem to recall reading that noctilucent clouds we're either increasing in frequency or starting to appear at lower latitudes over the last decade or so.
A place for your photos and banter. Photog first is our motto
- photog.social doesn't monetize or profit off of your personal information
- Export and leave anytime
- Zero tolerance for harassment or bullying, if you do this your account will be deleted
- All content is ©️ each user and cannot be distributed or used without prior permission by the respective photog.social user
- By using this site you understand that it is not a backup or permanent repository for your information, statuses or media ; additionally, your media was downsized on original upload and is not exportable at this time upon transferring to new instance
- You may support the community by boosting and positively interacting with everyone
- No Loli
- No Bots w/o Approval
- Respect Others
If you're feeling like supporting the photog.social Mastodon instance monetarily, feel free to choose an option below.
We appreciate it and 💘 the support!